5 Northern Illinois Museums and Attractions Offering Free Admission This Summer
The end of the school year is near, and many parents are busy coming up with ways to keep the kids entertained over summer break. For the record, I am one of those parents.
How to Not Break the Bank While the Kids Are on Summer Break
Working a full-time gig and having young kids on break from school is problematic. Not to mention the big dent paying for child care and summer camps can put on your pocketbook for 3 months in summer. Finding several low-cost activities and programs is a major key to surviving summer break, and until today I didn't realize how many of the Rockford-area attractions offer free admission days in the summer!
Free Admission Days at Rockford Attractions this Summer
I've said this before, but I will say it again, if you have young kids and need fun ideas for things to do in the Rockford area, Stateline Kids is a fantastic resource!
Stateline Kids has a 2022 Summer Camp Guide available now on their website, but what really caught my interest was their list of free/and or donation days at Rockford area attractions this summer.
If you've lived in the Rockford area for some time, I'm sure you are aware that Anderson Japanese Gardens holds donation days on the third Thursday of every month they are open, and that Nicholas Conservatory and Gardens features discounted admission on Tropical Tuesdays, but how many places offer FREE admission days? The answer? Five!
1. Burpee Museum of Natural History - 2022 free admission days scheduled for this spring and summer include; April 28; May 4,10,16, and 24; June 1,13, and 27; July 18; August 8 and 29.
2. Klehm Arboretum and Botanic Garden - Admission will be free May 6 - 13, 2022 for Go Public Gardens Days.
3. Midway Village Museum - Midway Village will be hosting two fun events this summer that offer free admission: Peaches Playdate on May 1, 2022 and 815 Day on August 15, 2022.
4. Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens - Admission to Tinker Swiss Cottage will be free every Tuesday in May and also on June 1 and 5, 2022.
5. Rockford Art Museum - Fun fact, the Rockford Art Museum has free admission every single day they are open!
Most of these Rockford attractions also offer great summer camp and activity options for kids too, so make sure you check them all out!