8 Iowa Facts That Most Locals Don’t Even Know
Every state has amazing facts and records that help define them that not everyone knows about.
Are you from Iowa? Have you been a local your whole life? Let us know how many of these awesome fun facts you knew on our app.
It's time for the facts about our favorite state... Iowa! You can see more lists here.
Iowa Fun Facts
1. Let's start with the most obvious one. Iowa Has More Pigs Than People
Iowa is the leading state for pork production in the United States.
2. One more soft ball... The World's Largest Recreational Bike Race Happens In Iowa
We all love RAGBRAI! It ends in Davenport this year.
3. The Apple "Red Delicious" Was First Farmed In Iowa
The famous apple first originated in Peru - not in the Andes, but in the tiny town of Peru, Iowa. Located in Madison County, this cultivation is now one of the most common apple varieties.
4. The Largest Ethnic Heritage Museum In The US Is In Iowa
Vesterheim, a three-floor museum in Decorah, pays tribute to the region's Norwegian immigrant population and includes a collection of historic buildings.
5. You Can Thank Iowa For Sliced Bread
Otto Frederick Rohwedder created Sliced bread in Iowa.
6. The World's Steepest And Shortest Railway Is In Iowa
Random... I know. The Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque is a few minute's ride up an incline that provides some of the best river views in Dubuque.
7. Iowa Is Home To A Clockwork Jail
I had no idea what this was. The Squirrel Cage Jail in Council Bluffs is the only rotary jail that can still be visited - it used a unique mechanism that left only one door accessible at a time, to prevent escapes.
8. Let's end with an easy one! Iowa's Largest Truck Stop Is Also The World's Largest
I drive past this spot a lot! The Iowa 80 Truck Stop is a massive facility, featuring a full-service restaurant, a dentist's office, an all-purpose store, and even a museum dedicated to the history of trucking!
How many of these did you know as an Iowa local? Learn more with Only In Your State Now!