Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - Mayo Clinic is bringing back the strict visitor policies it implemented at its Rochester hospital sites in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mayo says effective Monday:

“Adult patients in hospital units and the emergency department are not allowed visitors during their hospital stay unless the patient’s medical condition meets approved criteria.

Exceptions may be made to the policy for childbirth, end-of-life care, hospitalized children, and other rare and unique circumstances as assessed by the care team.”

Mayo says the visitor restrictions are needed because of “updated information about the impact of the Midwest surge in COVID-19 cases and the effectiveness of new safety measures.”

Mayo implemented a similar policy at its other southeast Minnesota hospitals last week.

The no visitor policy at Mayo’s Rochester hospitals it enacted in March was in place for two months.

Mayo also says it is “temporarily deferring some elective care so that we can care for the surge of urgent and emergent needs of our community, including the high influx of COVID-19-positive patients needing hospital care. Each specific practice area is prioritizing cases that require in-patient care based upon clinical criteria to ensure we meet the needs of our patients (i.e. cancer related treatment or procedures to avoid progression of disease or disability). There is no reduction in outpatient surgeries/procedures. “

News update:  Minnesota sets a fourth straight daily Covid record.