Minneapolis, MN (KROC-AM News) - The Minnesota Twins have postponed their series opener against the Boston Red Sox following the release of additional details of the fatal shooting in Brooklyn Center.

KOLM - 1520 The Ticket logo
Get our free mobile app

The Minnesota Twins shared a statement on social media stating the game was postponed after consultation from Major League Baseball and local and state officials. The full statement is below:

The Minnesota Twins said that this decision was rooted in safety, according to The Athletic's Dan Hayes. The Twins are scheduled to play Boston tomorrow at 1:10 p.m. at Target Field.

Earlier today, the Brooklyn Center Police Chief said that the officer that fatally shot 20-year-old Daunte Wright thought she was holding a Taser when she was actually holding a handgun. The shooting has been called an "accidental discharge", according to Fox 9 reporter Theo Keith.

The Minnesota Timberwolves and the Minnesota Wild are scheduled to play tonight, with the Wolves hosting the Brooklyn Nets at Target Center and the Wild hosting the St. Louis Blues at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

The Minnesota Wild are monitoring the situation according to The Athletic's Michael Russo.

UPDATE: Both the Minnesota Wild and the Minnesota Timberwolves games have been postponed. The statements from the Wild and a statement from the Timberwolves are below.

Timeline: George Floyd's Death, Protests, Riots, Arrests, Chauvin Trial

It was late afternoon on Memorial Day, 2020 and many Minnesotans had observed the normally active weekend hunkered down because of the growing pandemic.

George Floyd drove to a grocery store in Minneapolis and bought some cigarettes. He was accused by employees of making the purchase with a counterfeit $20 bill and police were called. Floyd was still there in his vehicle when two officers arrived. About 10 minutes later, Chauvin and another officer showed up and the situation began to escalate. Chauvin began kneeling on Floyd's neck as he was facedown on the street. Despite repeated pleas from Floyd and a growing crowd of bystanders to remove his knee, Chauvin continued as if frozen in position with no facial expression. 

After more than 8 minutes, Chauvin finally stood up and Floyd had become unresponsive. An ambulance was called and a short while later, it was reported Floyd was dead.

A video of the incident slowly spread on social media around the state, the country and the world. Viewers literally watched a man slowly die, repeating "I can't breathe." 

The now historic response began the following day.

More From KOLM - 1520 The Ticket