Special Olympics Torch Run Underway In SE Minnesota
Hastings, MN (KROC-AM News )- Law officers from southeast Minnesota are braving the early summer heat for the annual Special Olympics Torch Run.
The run got started in Hastings Wednesday morning. It's scheduled to end in Rochester around 5:15 p.m.
The torch is also scheduled for stops in Red Wing, Lake City, Zumbrota and Pine Island.
Here is Wednesday's schedule for the torch run, provided by the Olmsted County Sheriff's Office:
- Leaving Zumbrota at approximately 2:45-3:00
- Coming southbound on Hwy 52, coming through Pine Island around 3:45
- Arriving in the area of 65th St Bandel Road Kwik Trip around 4:30
- From there the primary route will be 65th St Eastbound on Overland Drive to 18th Ave
- 18th Ave south to the area of the West Frontage Road, making a stop at Advanced Auto Parts off Assisi Drive (Actual store address is 1760 Hwy 52 North) where Rochester Fire will join with Law Enforcement
- From Advanced Auto Parts, the run will go southbound on 11th Ave to Civic Center Drive
- Eastbound on Civic Center to 3rd Ave SE, and athletes will be joining along the route from Civic Center to the Mayo Civic Center
- Run will end in the front circle of the Government Center around approximately 5:15-5:30
- There will then be a “Pep Rally” for the athletes as they prepare for the state games (Track and Field and Basketball) that will take place this Saturday and Sunday at the Stillwater MN High School, as follows;
- The final “leg” will culminate on Saturday afternoon, June 25, in Stillwater at Summer Games Opening Ceremonies. General public and athletes are welcome to come cheer and participate in the run. The cost is $20 per person, and each participant will receive a commemorative T-shirt or hat.
There will also be updates on the sheriff's office's Facebook page.
The final "leg" is set for Saturday, June 25 in Stillwater at the game's opening ceremonies.