Rochester, MN  (KROC AM News) - The Rochester Fire Department is crediting a sprinkler system in preventing further damage from a late afternoon blaze at an apartment complex.

The fire was reported around 5:30 PM Friday at the Oakridge Apartments at 539 N. Broadway.

The Fire Dept. says the kitchen fire was extinguished by a single sprinkler head. The cause was blamed on combustible items that were near the stovetop. Damage to the second floor unit was listed at $20,000.

According to the Fire Dept. press release, “This was a great example of a save by a sprinkler system. This fire had the potential to spread past the stove area but was stopped by the automatic sprinkler.”  

News update: Twin Cities authorities find guns, ammo and more at 13-year-old boy's home.

Get local and national news on the go.  Download our News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM App – available on Apple and Android devices.